Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Interview with Randy Hayes

Randy Hayes

(Randy didn't answer the questions in order like Steve did, so i'll just list the questions and then his response)

Where did you go to get your degree?

What did you do right after you graduated?

How long did it take for you to get your first job in the industry?

What steps did you take to get to your Lead Animator position at Reel FX now?

Do you notice any common mistakes people make while animating? For example, lack of exaggeration?

What advice do you have for me, since I am graduating soon.

I saw your profile on LinkedIn mentioned you do motion graphics as well- what have you worked on and how did you get there as well? 


In answer to your questions, I went to the Art Institute of Dallas, and I started at Reel FX during my last quarter at school. I started with Kent as the first animation apprentices. Kent and I have just worked our way up kinda together, we both have kind of unique skill sets that have been able to help build the team and we do a lot to help everybody work more efficiently. Kent writes some tools and I wrote a training manual we use for new hires to get them acclimated. So between that and just a general overall improvement in my animation over the time I've been here, I got my "Lead Animator" post. 

I think the main thing that people do in CG as students is that they kind of let the computer tell them what they can do. If the rig doesn't give them a nice pose easily, they settle too quickly for an ugly one, or they get halfway to a nice one, and then move on to spline and hope that the motion will make up for the bad poses. But animation is all about the poses telling a good story, if they don't do that by themselves, they won't do it with a lot of computery in-betweens. 

So I'd say to focus on always knowing the story or the joke or the moment that you're trying to show, and making sure EVERYTHING about the pose really communicates that. Don't jump too quickly to in-betweens, make sure your poses work well and then in-betweens become much more fun and useful. 

Motion graphics is something I did more as a hobby, so I can't really give you too much advice on that, but if you're interested in that, check out my friend Byron. He lives out in LA now, but he does great motion design work.

No comments:

Post a Comment